Sunday marks a new season for the maroon and white of Galway, after the dismal run of 2010. Last season the boys got to the FBD League final only to lose out to Mayo, which was a week after they lost to the same opposition in the national league. However O’Flatharta will be in no doubt aware that on he will not want his Galway team to peak to early and he even said, they will take ‘ever game as it comes’.
Sunday sees the boys travel to Enniscrone to play Kevin Walshes Sligo in the 1st round, after trying to poach Big Kev away from the Sligo job last September, it will no doubt be an intriguing battle. Anyway over the last few days here are some of the main topics :
- Declan Meehan: In the previous article I discussed the fact that Meehan has now retired from inter county football, much to the disappointment of many a fan and footballer within the county.
- Captains: Tomas O’Flatharta has announced that he will have three captains for the coming season, which raises a few eyebrows. Finian Hanley, Kieran Fitzgerald and Michael Meehan. It is a strong signal of intent from O’Flatharta, stateing that towards the end of the year the team will have many leaders, which is a good point. Who will go up for the toss though?.. Id say they will take it on a match by match basis or else the more obvious captain for each competition, FBD, NFL and the Championship, time will tell
- FBD League: For the FBD we now know that we will be missing a number of players, which gives a chance for the lesser known guys to get a game and impress the management before the 26 man squad is picked for the National League. Players that miss out due to forced commitment to College :
- Adrian Flaherty
- Paul Conroy
- Tom Fahy
- Conor Healy
- Danny Cummins
- Stephen Kavanagh
- Greg Higgins
- Sean Armstrong (Lining out got UL)
- Niall Coyne (Lining out for UL)
- Team News for Sligo Games: For Sunday, Galway are also missing Michael Meehan, Diarmuid Blake, Darren Mullaly and Kieran Fitzgerald. That leave a number of high-profile players missing, but this gives a chance to other player to stake a place in the squad for the national league. As of yet, I have no starting line up for the match on Sunday.
All the best!